Friday, March 02, 2007

Elusive Excellence


Sometimes, excellence is the product of preparation mixed with luck. Since my hobby is aviation photography, I strive constantly to get the perfect shot. It's an ongoing process. Just in the past few months, I've learned that an aircraft photographs better if the sun is directly at your back, not just behind you in any sort of angle.
Every time I pack the gear and head out to shoot, I desperately want the perfect shot. Of the thousands and thousands of times I've pressed the button on my camera, I think I've gotten maybe two or three pictures that I'm totally pleased with. It's the thrill of the hunt, I guess.
I bring all this up because of the above photograph. This amazing shot shows the northern lights and the Big Dipper. What a great confluence of wonderful stuff for the photographer!
I can only hope I'm ready when my own confluence occurs.

No comments: