Saturday, April 26, 2008

What's on my mind...


It's a mellow spring afternoon here in Rockwall and these are the things I'm thinking about...


1. Going to a retirement party for my good friend Steve Leaming tonight. He's one week into his retirement from the City of Dallas. He had a wonderful little party given to him on his last day there and all the folks talked about how they cherished his friendship. There's a good chance that he and I will spend next weekend together at an airshow in Abilene. He's great to have along because he can identify any aircraft that's ever lifted off a runway. He's also the nicest person I know.


2. Tomorrow is missions Sunday at our church. The typical response to a "missions Sunday" is a yawn. Boring reports from faraway places. However, the older I've become, the more I've appreciated the work done by men and women in extraordinarily difficult locales. I also am fully cognizant that to find a mission field, all I have to do is step out my front door. But I get a rush when I hear how many new brothers and sisters in the Lord I'm getting from places I've never heard of.


3. Did yard work for three hours this morning. It is probably the healthiest activity I have. It is rigorous exercise for an increasingly aging body. Mowing, edging, weedeating, and weeding work all the body parts, and I'm sittin' here very sore. But he who sits, dies.


4. I'm watching the NFL draft. Which brings me to what Jerry Jones is doing to the Cowboys. What in the name of Michael Irvin is he thinking with this Pacman Jones interest? Doesn't character and integrity factor into anything anymore? For those of you who don't know, Pacman has had double-digit run-ins with the law and has been arrested six times. He frequents strip-clubs and coming to Dallas is something he'll love since we have 54 of those type establishments within the city limits.


5. You should see the poor girls who board my bus every school day. What they have to carry is truly amazing. Everyone carries a laptop and all the other necessities. Yesterday, a girl was toting two musical instruments, a music stand, a laptop, a backpack, and a purse. It's an a two-minute process just to load up and get off the bus. Another girl was dragging a cello back and forth every day last week. But this does show you the type of passengers I now get to transport these days. Ah, life is good.

No comments: