Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Scared I'll believe it...


I've begun reading a book that puts forth the idea that 9/11 was not the doing of Bin Laden, but rather the work of conspirators in the Bush administration. Now before you laugh, let me warn you that I, too, believe the idea is preposterous. But so did the man who wrote the book, and then the more he researched it, the more he believed.


The reason why I want to see what he says is the impressive set of credentials he brings to the table. Dr. David Ray Griffin is professor of religion and theology, emeritus, at Claremont School of Theology in California, and has written 30 books dealing with history, theology, and other subjects. On page 14, he gives a partial list of others who believe the same, and the names would knock your socks off. Included are former CIA agents, diplomats, cabinet members, and other prominent citizens. These are folks who are trained to be discerning and are experienced in separating truth from chaff. They have lent their names and leveraged their credibility to this effort to get the real truth out.


I'm digging into the first chapter, which deals with the delay in scrambling our military jets to intercept the ill-fated airliners. We all know that all over America, we have planes and pilots in absolute readiness for situations just like 9/11. They practice this stuff constantly and can be counted upon to be in the air within 5 minutes of an alert. For some reason, there was little or no scrambling of jets on that day.


There is much more to get to and I shudder to think what I'm going to find. I hope that all the theories are flawed and that I can shoot easy holes in them. But so far, the weight of research and scholarship in the book is impressive. I'll report back when finished. Meanwhile, be sure look out for black helicopters...

No comments: