Sunday, August 28, 2005

Au Revoir to NO?



Just got off the phone with Brett. We talked about the trouble, to put it mildly, that New Orleans is in.

As I write this on Sunday afternoon, Katrina is bearing down on a city that averages six feet below sea level.

Even the most optimistic forecast is brutal for this city. The most pessimistic, however, is beyond belief. New Orleans is the worst city in the U.S. to handle a hurricane. And this one is no ordinary hurricane.

Brett said that we who are not in the path will be impacted, too. Many oil refineries lie in the path of this storm. When even one refinery worldwide goes down, gas prices spike.

But that's not important. I feel for the children, the elderly, the homeless, the poor whose lives are going to be changed forever by this storm. I pray the storm weakens or stalls or changes course. God bless those in Katrina's path.

2 comments:

Brooke said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brooke said...

I'm completely clueless to what's going on in the world right now. I didn't know about this hurricane. I didn't even know about how high gas prices have gotten. I filled up today for the first time in a long time. The total was over $40!! I used to be upset with over $22. I hope the hurricane misses NO...for many reasons. I also remember hearing a teacher or professor saying that the Mississippi River could have the tendancy to change its course and have its bank BE New Orleans if a large enough flood ever came. Interesting to see what will happen.