Monday, May 05, 2008

Road Trip Report


Steve and I had a great time, but the trip tripped out when Steve tripped. We had just been allowed into the area where you can check out the aircraft that will later be flying in the airshow. And stupid me, I set my camera bag down in the general vicinity of where we were standing, and proceeded to take a shot of one of the planes. Steve stepped back to get out of my way and fell backwards over my bag onto the concrete tarmac.

He fell hard and I knew it had to hurt badly. Several nearby airmen rushed up to help him to his feet and true to Steve's incredible nature, he immediately inquired about whether my equipment was damaged. Well, my stuff was okay, but he had banged his hip on the unforgiving surface. Like a true warrior, he shrugged off help and limped around with me for the next hour as we continued to tour the aircraft.

He hung in there the rest of the day; in fact, his pedometer indicated that he had managed to walk over 3 miles before we climbed back in the car to leave. The next 3 hours were spent in wonderful conversation and time flew by as quickly as the wildflowers along the roadside.

Steve felt pretty bad Sunday and I continued to worry that there might be a fracture somewhere, but I'm happy to report (and he is too) that he felt much better today, and put in a full day of errand running.

Crazy guy, he still wants to go to another airshow first chance we get.

2 comments:

Blake Perkins said...

Thanks for the report. Glad you had a good time. Sounds like Steve is a cool dude.

Lynn Leaming said...

Just so that you don't feel too bad, poor Steve does seem to find ways to step wrong, trip etc. and is frequently hurting his back, hip, etc. It did not deter his good time with you. He could not say enough about how much he enjoys your company. I am thankful that he has a new friend who enjoys his passion for aviation. I will make sure to give better sunscreen instructions to both of you next time though!!!