Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Tasty Blast from the Past



How many of you out there remember these?


These were 6 and a half ounce wake-up calls. I so wish Coke still made them. The Coke of today bears little resemblance to these babies. Today's weak representation is a watered-down, sorry imitation of the real thing. Taking a swig of this mighty midget set off taste bud alarms throughout the entirety of your mouth. Swallowing two gulps back-to-back was almost impossible. The power of this stuff was awesome.

I don't know whether extra caffeine was stashed in these little liquid grenades. I suspect that was one factor in its jolt. During the first years of my teaching career, once I had signed in at the office, I headed straight to the Coke machine. Seems like the cost was either 15 or 20 cents. But I did not miss a day. I had to have the rush before I began the day. Often on weekends when I skipped my habit, I'd get a pounding headache...a sure sign that I was addicted to the stuff.

Another interesting thing about the bottles. On the bottom of each bottle was the imprint of what city that bottle had been "born". I used to line up my empties on the chalk tray, sorted by the section of the U.S. from which they had come. Man, I miss these babies.

Anyone else (near my age, of course) want to share memories of the baby Coke?

2 comments:

Blake Perkins said...

All I grew up drinking was A+ cola. Thanks for the memories.

I am Heather...creator of all things crafty! said...

I was born in 72 and they still had some semblance of these throw back bottles. I have a permanent scar on my right palm where I tripped on the black rubber "open door" mat heading in to Safeway on Gus Thomasson to retrieve our bottle refund....Oh the good ole' days. Heather