Thursday, August 23, 2007

Keep off the shoulder...


Just got back from the orthopedic doctor. Got my 2nd injection into the right shoulder. Will return in late September to start the paperwork for a scope that Dr. Aldrich calls a "decompression". The rotator cuff is frayed and there's a lot of bursitis as well.

I don't really have the time for this but realistically no longer have the option to keep putting it off. Being right-handed, I've been tormented for some time now as every time I try the simplest act involving reaching or lifting, I get the distinct sensation of being shot in the shoulder.

The doc said I'd have my arm in a sling for 10 days, have rehab for a few weeks, and be good as new in six weeks. He said he had one patient who drove a car the afternoon after the morning surgery. I'll be a bit disadvantaged in that every known school bus driver has used his right arm/hand to open the bus door to release the little angels at the bus stop. And, I can't afford to compromise safety one iota.

The best possible solution would be to have this injection somehow solve the problem. Not likely, but I'd welcome any relief.

On a scale of 1 to 10, this doesn't compare to cancer or severe arthritis, so I give it a 2 on the "problem" scale. But I do want it resolved. "No pain, no gain" is the stupidest slogan ever!

5 comments:

Lynn Leaming said...

Sorry you will have to have surgery, but the positive thing is that there is something that can be done. Praying you will see God's best in all the details.

I am Heather...creator of all things crafty! said...

Sorry for your pain. I have found though that even amidst it God offers us varying degrees of feeling better. Like today with my draining tube, I actually feel less intense throbbing pain and a more itching sensation. Granted, I'd love to have el drainage tubo out that'll be for the Dr. to decide next Fri. Hang in there. God is usuing pain for our betterment. It might just be so sometime down the road a similiar situation may come up with a friend and you'll be able to say I know you're pain, I've been there. You will be an encouragement to them then. Off my soapbox. I'm just finding God doesn't allow our suffering for now reason. It's always to glorify himself.

Tim Perkins said...

Lynn and Heather: Thanks so much for your kind words. Actually, due to a herniated disk in my back (1997), I have nerve damage which manifests itself as constant, burning pain in my left knee. So I'm already a chronic pain patient. Heather, what you've said is so true. God is teaching me something, and frankly, I often wonder what it is. And I do know that suffering on this side of the curtain will make heaven sweeter on the other side.

Anonymous said...

O, Tim,
I would say you need the injection. If it's anything like morphine, you'll enjoy it quite a bit anyway. But, I hope it doesn't put you to sleep the same way.

Seriously, I'll be praying for your soon recovery.

Bill

Tim Perkins said...

Bill: It was a cortisone injection, not necessary an instant pain-killer. In fact, it's been around 48 hours now since getting it and it should start kicking in soon, if it's going to.

Cortisone shots are very inconsistent. Sometimes they help, sometimes not. Sometimes they help for a little while, other times for as much as a year. I had one back in the spring that brought a smidgeon of relief for a very short time. I begged for this one, just hoping I might get different results.

Thanks for praying!