Thursday, August 10, 2006

Forgive My Giddiness


For the first time in 36 years, I'm not in a "teacher preparation" week in advance of the kids reporting for duty. This has been almost as sweet as the initial retirement rush. I assume I'll also get a surge next Monday when, after letting the Hood students off my bus, I simply drive back to the lot instead of parking my bus and wearily starting another year of public school teaching.

Man, are Carole and I glad we travelled a week ago and not today. Instead of the security torture today's passengers endured, we had the best security experience yet. My knee brace did not set off the metal detector either time. The lines were short both trips. The TSA workers were cheerful and not resentful. In other words, two miracles occurred within the space of 3 days.

Carole had another eye surgery today. This was a re-do for the one three weeks ago when they apparently implanted an incorrect lens. Early results are encouraging. If she's satisfied with how this eye is doing, the other eye gets the treatment in two weeks.

We are in the process of getting bids to fence our backyard. We live out in the country and if you go out our back door, there is quite a bit of empty space. This will allow us to put Maddie (grand-daughter) outside some during the days we keep her. She's 25 months old now and full of energy. We are also gonna put outside play equipment. We aren't just gonna stick her out there with nuthin' to do.

Life is good. God is better.

1 comment:

Blake Perkins said...

U wanna trade?