Tuesday, September 04, 2007

September is a good month...


If you're fairly old, you remember Harold Taft, chief meterologist of Channel 5 for a couple of decades. Harold, bless his soul, was keen on truisms...like, "You can't get a cold front in north Texas with a hurricane in the Gulf." Well, I'm not exactly the weatherman Brother Taft was, but I have a saying that is famed inside the Perkins walls: "The first cold front of any magnitude will hit September 21."

And what joy it brings. It usually means the end of upper 90's temps. It ushers in nighttime temperatures in the 50's. It usually means rain, as cool air and warm air don't get along and bang against each other knocking rain from the clouds.

There are other changes. The routine of school is now firmly established, ending the awkward nervousness in August felt by students and teachers alike. People seem invigorated again, showing signs of life after another oven-baked summer. The Fair opens. (I must digress. The Texas State Fair has as much attraction for me as the Dallas Museum of Arts...meaning less than none.)

And, grocery stores start creating their annual Halloween aisles. Wouldn't be surprised if by September 30th, Thanksgiving aisles aren't also displayed.

And, if you lived in northern Vermont, you witness the beginning of flaming fall color, something that has to be seen to be believed. Carole and I have seen it 3 times together. Our fantasy has been to have a house on a hillside in Vermont, looking out over a valley awash in color. Oh, well. One can dream.

3 comments:

I am Heather...creator of all things crafty! said...

I was just thinking today, how nice it's going to be in a few weeks when the weather starts cooling down. However, we did sit on the porch tonight and it was pretty nice out there. Now, if the flies would have just stayed away from our chocolate chip cookies...

Brooke said...

I saw Mr. Taft at a restaurant one Sunday - bowtie and all. He isn't a tall one. I have never heard you say anything about a cold front on Sept. 21. I'll take it though. I also recieved a pre-order form for my favorite band's Christmas album today. I got excited when I saw they would be in town on their Christmas tour...then I realized that I would be 9 months pregnant then. I guess I'm already giving up my child-less lifestyle. :)

Unknown said...

Brooke, you're thinking of Troy Duncan! Harold Taft died about 12 or so years ago. You'd think with the weather being on tv 92% of your waking hours as a child, you'd know your weathermen better!
Yep, get used to it! Your life as you've known it is about over! It'll be great, though!