Saturday, January 27, 2007

Top 5 Songs of All Time


See if you don't agree with these selections. I'll count down from 5 in order to let the suspense build.
5. "We All Live in a Yellow Submarine" by the Beatles. When I was in basic training in 1970, we went on long marches. In order to make the time seem somewhat less than interminable, we sang certain songs that seemed to go well with the activity. As some of you know, when one marches, one puts his left foot down with the established beat. This classic Beatles hit was perfect for marching.
4. "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire" or whatever the actual name of that song is. It is impossible to hear that ditty and not get the Christmas spirit.
3. "TheEggplant That Ate Chicago". Never heard it? Go here and enjoy Dr. West's Medicine Show and Junk Band's classic hit. Quit laughing. I'm serious.
2. "Then Came the Morning". Bill Gaither's stirring work that illustrates why the resurrection is history's most important event.
1. "Do You Want to Dance?" by Bobby Freeman tops my personal chart. This masterpiece came out in the 50's, I believe, and caused me great angst since my legalistic urges were flaming at the time and dancing was considered the unpardonable sin.
There you have it. I'm sure this group of 5 has never been in a group of 5 before. Feel free to chime in with yours, but I don't expect anyone can top these.

1 comment:

Blake Perkins said...

5) The Hallelujah Chorus
4) Jesus is Born Today
3) Dream On Me
2) Aint No Short Way Home
1) Workin on a Building